Life of a Prem Baby Blog

Hello Mummy and Daddy!

Posted on: 12/11/2010

And just like that after almost a week of going backwards and forwards to the hospital my little boy was finally born, and there I sat on my bed, by myself and exhausted. I couldnt even get up and follow my little boy and my husband as my legs were still numb, so I just had to sit and wait until my husband came back down to my room.

An hour later he walked through the door with the biggest grin on his face, I couldnt help but smile back it was contagious. I dont think either of us could quite believe that our little boy was actually here!

So while other mums get their first glimpse of their baby in their arms, my first glimpse of my little boys face was on my husbands mobile phone. He’d taken pictures of him, and I felt so sorry for my little boy. In the pictures he already had no end of tubes connected to him, laying on his side, with a nappy so big it was up to his armpits! He looked so upset, as if thinking “Mummy, Daddy why am I here already?!”. I just wanted to go straight up to Neonatal and pick him up and cuddle him.

My husband turned to me and said “Im so proud of you”. At that moment I was so grateful to have my husband by my side, I just couldnt have done it without him.

An hour and a half after Jenson was born I was taken to the maternity ward on the hospital. Where for some bizarre reason they put me in the same room as mums that had their baby with them. This really got to me, the other mums in the room were sat by their beds craddling their babies in their arms and there I was without Jenson.

And finally after nearly two hours after giving birth my husband wheeled me through to the Neonatal ward and I saw Jenson for the first time. It was heartbreaking to see him in intensive care, in a special cot that helped to keep him warm and all these machines and tubes linked up to him to monitor him. I wasnt even allowed to pick him up and cuddle him and tell him that everything would be alright. I just willed my little boy to fight, to be strong and show the doctors and nurses that even though he was little he would survive the night.

I must have sat there for ages just staring at Jenson, it felt so surreal. I was a mum!

What only felt like 5 minutes later my husband said we should go back to the ward so that I could rest, I looked at my watch and it was almost 9:00pm, time had gone so fast and I really didnt want to leave Jenson in the ward by himself with all these strange people!

But I had no choice, and with one last look at Jenson I allowed my husband to wheel me back to the maternity ward.

Shortly after my husband went home, and I was finally by myself with the chance to think about the days events. I still couldnt quite believe it, I was still meant to be pregnant! And there I was sat in the maternity ward, exhausted and with no end of bruises on me where Id been prodded with needles. I decided that it was probably about time that I tried to get some sleep, which wasnt an easy task as all I heard that night was the cry of newborn babies and their mums talking softly to them.

I just prayed that when I opened my eyes in the morning that Jenson had made it through the night and that I would soon be able to give him lots of cuddles.

Read my next blog to read about Jensons first few days in hospital.


2 Responses to "Hello Mummy and Daddy!"

This brings back so many memories!!! I too had a prem baby born at 35 weeks weighing 4lb 3oz. I was unlucky in the sense that i was very poorly and was not allowed to be discharged from the delivery suite for nearly three days so only spent about 1 hour with my baby boy. The pain that you feel listeninng to other new mums with their babies is so intense word cannot begin to describe it. Thankyou so much for taking the time to write this and i truly believe it will help other new mums deal with the issues of having a tiny baby.
Cant wait to read your next blog xxxx

Hi Rebecca

Firstly I thank you for taking the time to read my blog and thank you so much for your kind comments. That must have been tough staying in the hospital and not being able to see your baby. It is my pleasure to be able to share my experiences with people like you :0) Next blog coming soon! xx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

November 2010
    Dec »

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 642 other followers

Where my readers are from


Twitter Updates

%d bloggers like this: